Quote of the dayThere is no cure for birth and death save to enjoy the interval.
- George Santayana
- Northern American nectar sources for honey bees - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- Foundationless top bar frames - Walter T. Kelley
- Lazy Beekeeping, Micheal Bush Bees, foundationless frames, etc.
- Warre Hives - The Warré Store-Your premiere source for quality built cedar beehives, accessories and beekeeping supplies
- Henderson's Chicken Breed Chart
- backyardhive.com - Do you have provisions for a queen excluder?
- backyardhive.com - Insulating Your Hive
Latest Flickr pics
Yeah, I’m on Facebook too
I arise in the morning torn between a desire to
…save the world and a desire to
…savor the world.
This makes it hard to plan the day.
– E.B. White
YESEES AND NOEES
The Yesees said yes to anything
That anyone suggested.
The Noees said no to everything
Unless it was proven and tested.
So the Yesees all died of much too much
And the Noees all died of fright,
But somehow I think the Thinkforyourselfees
All came out all right.
by Shel Silverstein
from ‘Nasty School’ and Other Poems
A wise man will desire no more than what he may get justly, use soberly, distribute cheerfully, and leave contentedly.
– Benjamin Franklin
People are fed by the food industry, which pays no attention to our health, and are healed by the health industry, which pays no attention to our food. ~Wendell Berry
The Great Soil Erosion of the 19th and 20th centuries represents the most massive transport of material on Earth since the last ice age… As we begin to transition out of the cheap-energy era, the reality of Earth’s missing topsoil will be felt more deeply than we might imagine. Healthy soil is, of course, the foundation of any agriculture and culture; food can only be extracted from land via fossil fuel fertilizers and pesticides temporarily, at best. Societies have long existed without highways and electrical grids; it’s when the soil and water give out – or the climate shifts quickly – that civilizations collapse. This collapse may continue to be delayed for as long as fossil fuels can be substituted for soil, rapid climate change is nascent, or until fresh, potable water becomes scarce.